Do you know that the basic chocolate cake has 371 calories? What if I tell you that we can satisfy our chocolate temptations by baking chocolate cake for ourselves at home, in a healthy and easy-to-cook method?
So let’s begin baking!
- rolled oats – 1 cup (approx 80 gm)
- white flour + whole grain flour – 100 gm
- sunflower seeds – 1 tbsp
- orange zest – 1 tsp (optional)
- butter – 100 gm or 1/2 cup
- olive oil – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
- eggs – 3 (separate egg yolks and egg whites)
- cocoa powder – 3 tbsp
- baking powder- 1 flat tsp
- orange essence – 1/2 tsp( optional) or vanilla essence if not using orange rinds
- milk – 1/3 cup
- brown sugar – 180 gm
- orange juice 1/4 cup (optional)
- sugar syrup 1/4 cup ( mix 1/4 cup water + 1 tsp brown sugar in a pan and heat till sugar dissolves)
- In a mixing bowl, take sugar, melted butter and olive oil. Beat them together, till the mixture becomes creamy.
- Now add egg yolks one by one and keep beating.
- Now add the dry mixture of white flour + whole grain flour to egg and sugar mixture. Followed by oats, cocoa powder and baking powder. Mix them all.
- Beat the egg whites with 1/3 cup of milk and add vanilla essence or orange essence.
- Add the above egg white mixture into the batter and mix them all.
- Now in your microwavable greased cake tin, pour the batter and bake it in microwave on ( HIGH POWER) or 800 Power for 6-7 minutes. The time may vary from microwave to microwave. But you may set it for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes prick a fork, if it comes clean, the cake is ready or else set it for another one minute. try the same pricking fork procedure.
- Once the cake is baked, you may now let it rest for a while.Then when it is not very hot and comfortable to handle, remove the cake from the tin on a serving dish. When cake is still warm, now poke the cake with fork few times in random fashion and pour over the cake orange juice and sugar syrup. Allow this syrup to get absorbed by cake. This will make your extra soft and yum with its orange Sprinkle some icing sugar if you like.You may serve like this with hot cup of tea or coffee.
- But if you fancy some extra decoration on your cake, you try simple technique to make chocolate sauce with 1-2 Tbsp cocoa powder, 2-3 tsp icing sugar and milk to mix them both in a sauce consistency. Pour it over the cake and add few blanched almonds to give it a finishing and tempting look, plus they are yum and healthy 😉
My husband and I, enjoyed this cake with fruit and greek yogurt instead of any of the above. It was yum!!